Born in Madrid in 1948, Miguel Ángel Campano studied Architecture and Fine Arts in Madrid and Valencia. At first Campano’s work was characterised by an Informalist-based abstraction, but beginning in 1973 it developed a fluid language whose origins can be found in the geometric abstractions of Gerardo Rueda or Gustavo Torner. Towards the end of the seventies he moved to Paris, where his work abandoned its rigid geometric structures, adopting a gestural quality recalling Abstract Expressionism and the New York School. His early participation in pivotal exhibitions such as “1980” (Galería Juana Mordó, Madrid 1979) and “Madrid DF” (Museo Municipal, Madrid, 1980), legitimised his standing amongst the most significant young artists facing the new decade.
Campano’s work is characterised by an ample gesture, a richness of colour, both intense and enigmatic and predominantly large formats with the loose gestural abstraction that animates all his work. His interest in the Classical tradition has led him to create re-interpretations of the Great Masters, producing series based on the work of Cézanne (for which he travelled to the French Provence and the surroundings of Mont Saint-Victoire), Delacroix and Poussin amongst others.
Recipient of the Premio Nacional de Artes Plásticas (1996), Campano has, since 1969, exhibited continually in one-person and group shows both nationally and internationally. Given his delicate health, the number of exhibitions in recent years has diminished, yet he enjoys an ample representation in museums and his work is part of the most prestigious institutional collections such as Museo de Arte Abstracto Español (Cuenca), British Museum (London), Museo de Bellas Artes de Bilbao, Universidad Complutense (Madrid), MNCARS (Madrid), Banco de España (Madrid), Centro Georges Pompidou (París), Fundación Juan March (Madrid), Fundación Caja de Pensiones (Barcelona), Museo de Bellas Artes de Álava (Vitoria), Museo de Navarra, Museo Municipal (Madrid), y la Colección Caixa Galicia (A Coruña) and others.